Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'm tired of Running, I'm tired of Hurting

I wonder if anyone even reads this blog... :P
Oh well, it is still good posting for myself.
So I have to write an essay about what Taekwondo means to me.
First draft right here!!! :D

When asked to write this essay I thought it’s be easy! Taekwondo has been a major aspect of my life for the past 15 – 16 years, so one would think writing about it would be simple. However, as I began marking off the aspects of Taekwondo that affect many, I began to see that the grain of Taekwondo runs much deeper through me than it being merely a hobby, a pastime, a sport.

Taekwondo is more than a sport, more than a fitness regime, more than poomse or sparring competitions, more than medals, grading and dans, more than competition. More than pride, ore than failure, more than winning. Taekwondo is more than a hobby, a pastime. It’s worth more than the blood, the sweat and the tears.

Many quit Taekwondo after they obtain their black belt, after they win the gold, once their life has become too hectic. Many leave once they have achieved all they set out to achieve, once they are done. Many set specific Taekwondo goals that once achieved the sport means so much less to them.

I have set goals throughout my Taekwondo career, and I have achieved them. To gain my Black Belt, to train for competitions, to compete to the best of my ability. But there is one goal I have set, which entails many milestones, many obstacles and many triumphs. To be the best person I can be.

I can’t be that person without Taekwondo.
If life had been different, and 16 years ago Mum hadn’t met Bernie and I hadn’t started this sport I now claim to be such a major part of my life, I believe I’d be a very different person now.

No self-confidence, self-loathing, lack of self-control, insecure, sensitive.

Taekwondo has given me more than a black belt, more than a ribbon on my wall, more than the recognition.
Through all the blood, sweat and tears (lots and lots of tears!) Taekwondo has created a stronger person. Has created someone I am proud to be. The sport, more specifically the people, has been there for me as I faced major challenges in life. They have been there for me on my darkest days, during my hardest struggles and I am forever indebted.

Taekwondo means more than the world to me. For it is a major part of my world and whilst I try hard to complete another major milestone in my Taekwondo career I am no where near completing my goal of being the best person I can be, and therefore I have another 15 years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment